24 November 2014

Memories of donkey riding, mid 1980s

 
We did a lot of things outdoors when I was little. Running under the sprinkler, gardening, fishing for pippies, camping...and donkey riding. It's funny, because I really don't enjoy the outdoors and what it does for my skin, and I don't remember liking it when I was a kid either. I guess I didn't want to say anything to my parents in case I sounded like I was whining or didn't want to do the activities they'd planned.
 
Despite the heat, wind and flies in the outdoor environment, I think I always had fun.
 
I used to wear a net under my hat, to stop the flies from getting at my face. Flies and Ichthyosis is so difficult. But the net stuck to my face too, and smelt funny. Sometimes a fly would get caught in the net, buzzing about right at my face, around my ears.
 
We rode these donkeys in the mid 1980s. I remember how jerky it was, how high we were perched and how Mum wouldn't let me go. The paddock smelt of donkey manure and country air. We seemed to get through those hot, dry summers, packing things in, not complaining too much aboit the heat.
 

When I was a little older, we rode camels - smellier, jolter and taller than donkeys.

 

These photos make me smile. It's hard to believe they're almost 30 years old.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. We did a lot of outdoors things as well - particularly hiking! I specifically remember hiking all around Wilson's Prom as a young teen with my family - all the way up Mt Oberon, to all the different beaches. As you can imagine, my shorter legs found it exhausting but there was no thought about whether or not I could cope. My parents just thought I would! Still, I think it served me well in regards to my current level of health and fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are holding on to the reins as tight as your mum holds you - just beautiful Carly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails